Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Found a peanut, found a peanut...."



Here's an image of the latest print I've been working on. Several weeks ago a co-worker asked me to do something related to peanuts. I tried a print that consisted of one peanut by itself and with several words surrounding it, but I didn't like the way it came out. I guess that can happen :)

Anyway, I tried something a little more authentic and this co-worker seems happy with what I've come up with. After showing it to her, she mentioned that the pitch fork and basket were quite authentic. Just lucky, I guess. The most experience I have regarding peanuts is what I buy at the grocery store. I remember buying some raw nuts in the shell for the first time almost 20 years ago. We got them home and started to shell them and eat them. Blech! When it came to raw nuts, my wife and I were just as green as the bag we bought from the local farmer! After a few inquiries, we were told that we had to roast them or boil them. We went with the roasting route because we had tried boiled peanuts in the past and were QUITE put off by their slimy texture.

That's about all for now. I'm not sure what I'll be working on next. Another co-worker would like a print of her house. I'm might branch out and do something else, but I'm not sure what I'm inspired to tackle at the moment. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I have been teaching a printmaking unit - stumbled accross your page (great prints by the way!)
    I have question and perhaps you can email me -
    I have been ordering block printing ink from Sax Arts and Crafts supplies. Not sure if you are familiar.
    We have been trying to create multi-color prints, and the ink we have been using ends up pealing off every time we carve and add another color. I was wondering what type of ink you used and what type of paper. I cannot figure this out. I have also noticed that less colors works better. Do you let your prints dry out for a while before adding another color? I don't think I should have to do this. We are using a higher quality of block printing ink as well.
    Let me know - thanks
    Elaine - elainezobro@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete